My Mumme Poll ballot and thoughts on it for this week:
- Oklahoma State or Oklahoma/Boise State in the top list was the hardest choice this week. Despite the score, I still see the Sooners as a top team.
- The Illinois loss made the Missouri and Penn State records look very different. That also changed the math for Oklahoma State in my mind.
- I don’t get the BYU love fest anymore. Each week the UCLA win looks less good and Texas A&M scored more points against New Mexico on the road than BYU did at home.
- I considered moving LSU all the way off. The only reason I didn’t was I didn’t think Texas Tech or any other one loss team is as good as the Tiger are. Obvioulsy, that is very subject to change.
- Ditto for Missouri.
- I still don’t know what to make of Utah/Boise State. Each week I think I have them over rated in my mind. Each week I can’t find a good reason to leave them off.
- At the end of the season, I believe the “BCS busters” could all be out of the picture, not by virtue of losses, but because Big Six teams will have more impressive wins. Right now, they are still better than those other teams due to their wins.
- Texas Tech is the luckiest team in football.
- Teams I considered, but didn’t put on the list: Texas Tech, BYU, UNC, Wake, Virginia Tech.
- Teams I never even thought about: Georgia Tech, Vandy, BC, FSU, Ball State, Tulsa, Kansas, Cal, anyone in the Big East.
- Two top ten teams, even yardage, ten point score differential=great ballgame, but only if it is a seesaw game, otherwise it is a (fill in your favorite sportswriter word for being taken behind the tool shed).
- Cupcakes+pretty good defense against an offense looking to redeem itself=51-21.