With thanks to Jimmy Cracked Corndawg:
According to Volquest, the long list to replace Phat Phil:
Lane Kiffin, Will Muschamp, Jim Grobe, Brian Kelly, Tim Brewster, Gary Patterson, Turner Gill, Mike Leach, Doug Marrone, Charlie Strong and Mike Locksley.
(Of course, Kiffin and Muschamp are also on Clemson’s list and Leach will be on everyone’s list.)
Chavis won’t be the next guy at UT. If Fulmer’s out, then his staff won’t be far behind. AD’s and powers-that-be think of them as part of the problem. Fulmer’s hiring was different. It wasn’t that Johnny Majors was doing that bad; he could have lasted a while longer if it weren’t for circumstances. When he got sick, UT realized Phat Phil was the real deal, so they fired Majors so as not to lose their diamond in the rough.
David Cutcliffe, meanwhile, who is not being mentioned for the post, is a different story. He isn’t on board the sinking ship and is a name everyone associates only with the good times at UT. That’s an advantage Chavis doesn’t have.
Jimmy is a long time friend and a member of the traditional media near home in Georgia. He and I chatted about this today and he posted the above in the comments of the prior post. A couple of thoughts, in no particular order:
- Mike Leach isn’t leaving Lubbock to go to Knoxville. Texas Tech is about to give him half of West Texas, rename it Leachistan and make every day International Talk Like a Pirate Day. Even if they don’t, why not go to Washington, where they have very good facilities, with all kinds of upside potential without the expectations of Tennessee, and a real navy. Plus, UW would pay him the same money as Tennessee or TTU. Wait, the UW job won’t be open because……
- Lane Kiffin is going to UW. I don’t know that for sure, but I sure know he is a west coast guy, with west coast contacts and west coast attitudes. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
- I love Will Muschamp. I know he will be a head coach in the next two years somewhere. I would put my money on Auburn, if I bet on such things.
- I look at Tennessee going after a coach with a proven record of success somewhere. I don’t know if Chris Hatcher has the success they are looking for, but Mickey Matthews might. Chuck Martin certainly does. If not, Charlie Strong would be a great pick up and the one that would make me the most nervous of the names on the Volquest list, as a Georgia fan.
- That goes for Jim Grobe as well, and he has been recruiting in Tennessee’s back yard quite well.
Just a few random thoughts for a Monday night.
PS. So it wasn’t as classy as I thought it might be.