My final Mumme Poll ballot.
National Champion: Florida (holding my nose)
- Also considered: Texas Tech, Mississippi.
- Never considered: Any Big East team, any ACC team, BYU.
- I came *this* close to naming USC my national champion. In the end, I just think Penn State wasn’t as good an opponent as Oklahoma and Florida’s loss was slightly less bad than USC’s.
- I never considered naming Utah national champion. Sorry, but if any major conference team played Utah’s schedule, there would be hue and cry from the football media and blogosphere about the cupcakes they played all season. Oh, yeah, it’d have been Texas Tech’s schedule, save three games. Of course, I still don’t recognize BYU’s claim to a championship from 1985. At least Utah beat a legit team on New Year’s day.
- I chose Boise State over Texas Tech and Mississippi. I still don’t know why.
- Vandy has won a bowl game since South Carolina has. I know it doesn’t belong here, but I just wanted to point that out.
On a personal note, this has been a blast. Thanks to the Senator for all of his hard work hosting the Poll.