- Georgia baseball starts the season out ranked 5th in the baseball writer’s poll. Top five: UNC, LSU, Rice, Texas A&M, UGA. Georgia Tech checks in at number 13. Three other SEC teams are ranked (Ole Miss, 14; Kentucky, 23; Florida, 24).
- Coach Landers looks for his 800th career win against Savannah State this week. The Lady Dawgs beat South Carolina to notch 799 last weekend.
- Sam Bradford decides to stick around and play football another year. No word on if Matt Stafford has already bought a block of houses in Detroit.
- Derrick Favors has decided to move from South Atlanta and play for Middle Atlanta next year. Is this a nail in Felton’s UGA coaching career’s coffin?
- I nearly cried when I saw John Smoltz put on a Boston cap. Then I remembered I was a guy.
- Hey, Mark Sanchez is leaving USC for the draft. Maybe Matt can sell those houses in Detroit to him.
- So, having the pro equivalent of Texas Tech and Cincinnati playing in the NFC championship game doesn’t make the pro-playoff people just a bit queasy?
- Jodie Meeks did something no other Kentucky Wildcat has ever done. It doesn’t involve academics. Hint: he was the only player in double figures for the ‘Cats in their 18 point drubbing of Tennessee on Tuesday. To quote a guy who was watching the game with me: “Yeah, he is feelin’ it.”