- Why the Masters is so important to someone from Georgia. Even if you don’t like golf, for four beautiful days, the firmament is focused on Augusta. The Masters is rebirth and spring. It stands for all that is pure in sports, even if the membership is all men. It represents the ultimate meritocracy. You win to get in. You win it all if you play flawless golf for four days. You don’t show up on the last day, you don’t win. There is nothing more beautiful, other than my children wearing red and black singing “Glory, Glory”, than the greens, the sundresses, the occasional Georgia hat and the azaleas on Amen corner. It is a ‘Tradition Unlike Any Other.’
- Spring football. I am pretty sure Illinois is having it. My office is very close to the practice facility and I haven’t seen any football. I have been asked at least 10 times, “Is Georgia’s Spring Game really on ESPN this Saturday?” Yeah. It really is.
- That playing softball in 40 degree weather isn’t ok, just because ‘at least the sun is out.’ Yeah, having the sun out makes all the difference when your sack freezes to the side of your leg. At least the beer stays cold.
- That having to wait until May to play golf is ridiculous. Sorry, I don’t mind the heat of July, so give me February to November golf every time. I have a cooler to keep the beer cold.
- BBQ is pork, not an event. Had the discussion the other day. Again.
- That fried is the best way to eat fish, pork chops and pickles. Smoked is the best way to eat chicken and pork loin. Green Beans should be boiled with ham or bacon. A lot.
- Lewis Grizzard.