With GDay being played today, I thought I would recall my five favorite GDay moments.
- 1990-My senior year. Andy TenHusien and I are driving on Sanford Drive about to cross the bridge in my 70’s convertible Superbeetle when disaster strikes: We are jamin’ to Van Halen checking out a couple of KΔ’s when the toolbox (that is what we used in 1990 for douche bag) in front of me stopped short. Quick wit and Andy screaming like a little bitch saved a sure totaling of my Beetle. I swerve hard left, screach to a stop and non-chalantly ask the girls if they were headed to the game. We pick up the girls, enjoy the game and the very fun and long evening at Sky’s Place afterwards.
- 2001-My only time in Sanford’s press box during a game. The only reason it isn’t number one was Sky’s Place was closed by then and Erin Andrews didn’t acknowledge me when I tried to grope her. Ok, some of that is a lie, but I’ll let you decide what part of it is.
- 1993 – My last game in the stadium prior to graduation from Georgia (for my law degree) and leaving Athens for Washington, DC. The first Ms. The Dean wasn’t a college football fan and certainly didn’t understand going to a football game in April. Or sports generally. Or the fact than your anniversary is a mandatory for certain marital activities. Where was I? Oh, yeah. Great memories because she didn’t go and complain. Good times.
- 2005 – I don’t know why, other than I ran into a dorm mate from Russell Hall (Penthouse East, baby), Kyle King, two guys from my pledge class and a law school classmate that I thought had died.
- 2006 – My last GDay to date. Little did I know that rainy day in April would be my last GDay as a denizen of the Classic City. I would have stayed a little longer at Between the Hedges after that one, if I had known.